Vexos - Vectrex OS (2007)
In July 2007 my summer vacation started, and i went on a coding marathon.
I started programming for about 40 hours straight, and 2 days more after that.
During this coding marathon, i started one of my more ambitious projects for the vectrex to date: Vexos , an operating system for the Vectrex console. What started as a bitmap and document viewer, was rapidly expanding to a large program that was able to handle all kinds of media.
As i continued development, more and more filetypes supported, which in turn led to the development of a BASIC and Brainf*&k interpeter.
||Photoviewer - Sexygirl
Also, a Chip-8 emulator for the Vectrex was developed as a side project for the OS.
- Drop down menu allows for easy navigation between different files.
- One click binary output using a custom created vectrex filesystem.
- Add all kinds of media to the OS from your PC!!!
- Vectrex fans can now write their own games/programs using BASIC.
- APPS: Able to run binary code (BIN files)
- APPS: Able to run basic code (BAS files)
- APPS: Able to run brainf*&k code (BF files)
- GRAPHICS: Able to display bitmap graphics (JPG/BMP/TGA/PCX formats)
- GRAPHICS: Able to display Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG format)
- GRAPHICS: Able to display vector graphics and animations (VEC format)
- GRAPHICS: Able to display Logo hex-dumps (still unstable)
- GRAPHICS: Able to display 3D objects (OBJ format, exportable from 3dsmax)
- AUDIO: Able to play digtized sound (WAV format, and custom song format)
- AUDIO: Able to play Atari YM music files.
- AUDIO: Vecvox textreader
- DOCUMENTS: Able to display text files
|Photoviewer - Pooh & friends
||Basic - Running Pong
|Documentviewer - Cinderella
||Photoviewer - Jay Smith
All Programming and design by: Martijn Wenting
(c)2007 Revival Studios
The Vectrex OS basic compiler will soon get its own page here, but for now you can check out the following:
- BASIC commands overview
- BASIC source: simple program that moves a shape on screen
- BASIC source: pong game
- APPS: Try to intergrate CHIP8 emulation with the OS
- APPS: Improve Basic support
- GRAPHICS: Improve SVG support
- GRAPHICS: Improve Logo hexdump support
- VecFlash/multibank support
The Vexos operating system is available for free.
You can download the latest version of the operating system, as well as the rom-building tool here in the near future:
Click here if you like to buy vectrex homebrew games.
I hope to have a video available in the future.
Documentviewer - Cinderella
Photoviewer - Sexy girl
Photoviewer - Pooh
Photoviewer - Jay Smith
Basic game - Pong
Digital sound player - Prodigy (16kb)
Digital sound player - Madness (16kb)
Digital sound player - JuniorSenior (24kb)
Digital sound player - Robocop (23kb)
Text to speech - Vectrex reading the EUROCON.VOX file. Click here to view the spoken text